Co-chairperson Ann Murphy led the meeting at the NCSU Crafts Center
29 members, 3 guests attended
Indoor Meeting: “Night Sky: How To Make and Improve Observations” by RAC Co-Chairman Doug Lively. Doug discussed how to choose an observing program, plan the observations, make and log them. Ultimately, one can submit the observations for an award and keep the observations for future reference.
Doug was joined by a panel of 4 experienced observers (and RAC members) who contributed their advice and expertise to the discussion. The panel included Jim Pressley, Al Hamrick, Mike Keefe and Phyllis Lang.
1. Astronomy Days. Co-chairmen Doug Lively and Steve Blake are serving as coordinators for Astronomy Days on January 25-26 at the North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences. Doug and Steve discussed volunteer needs that remain to by filled by Club members. Please sign up by Tuesday, January 14 at https://raleighastro.wufoo.com/forms/rac-astronomy-days-volunteer-registration-form/
2. Observing awards. Member Jim Michnowicz received the “NASA Observing Challenge – Mercury Transit”. Congratulations to Jim on another observing accomplishment!
3. Treasury report. The report was provided by Treasurer Steve Izzo:
Current membership: 190 (counting 1 per family membership)
- $899.67 in business checking
- $13,712.08 in savings
- $804.49 in special purpose checking
Dues are due now. The webmaster (Matt L) will send an e-mail reminding current members to renew their memberships before the end of January.
4. Outreach. Report provided by Outreach coordinator Matt Lochansky.
- Sycamore Creek ES: Sat, January 18, 10am-12pm @Matt Lochansky
- Salem ES: Thu, Jan 29, Time TBD, @Mike Keefe
- Millbrook ES: Thu, Jan 30, 4pm-6pm @Matt Lochansky
Statewide Star Party is being planned now for April 24 & 25. Please watch [email protected] for dates and locations.
30 May – Public observing session at Dorothea Dix Park in Raleigh.
5. Upcoming RAC Activities.
Jan 17: RACOBS
Jan 25-26: Astronomy Days
Feb 15: RACOBS (note this is a Saturday – avoiding Valentine’s Day)
Feb 28: Indoor meeting “Getting Started in Astronomy” by RAC Co-Chairperson Ann Murphy.