Co-chairperson Steve Blake led the meeting at the NCSU Crafts Center
Note: The secretary thanks Mark Lang for recording the minutes in her absence.
33 members, 5 guests attended.
“The Dawn of Modern Astronomy” was presented by Dr Don Ellison, Professor Emeritus, NCSU Department of Physics. Dr. Ellison spoke about the revolutionary contribution to modern astronomy by the 1534 publication of “On the Revolutions of the Heavenly Spheres” by Nicolaus Copernicus.
1. Treasury report. The report was provided by Treasurer Steve Izzo:
Current membership: 197 (counting 2 per family membership)
Single Members: 117
Family Members: 40
- $476 in business checking
- $12,855 in savings
- $76 in special purpose checking
2. Observing Committee report. The report was provided by Observing Committee chair Matt Lochansky. As usual, please watch raleighastro mailing list for details. The Onee Giant Leap Festival at the NC Museum of History on July 20th had a huge attendance of over 8000 people. Several RAC members participated.
Upcoming public observing sessions:
- Sep 6 (raindate Sep 7), 8-11pm. Public observing at Prairie Ridge Ecostation featuring the crescent moon, Jupiter and Saturn. Event is coordinated by Steve Blake.
- Oct 5: “Observe the Moon Night” at Dorothea Dix Park. We will need lots of telescopes for this popular event.
Doug Lively introduced our intern for the fall semester, Anastasia Vale. Anastasia is a senior at NCSU and will assist RAC with various activities related to public education and communications.
4. Observing awards.
RAC member Linda Meeks received the Astronomical League (AL) OutReach award on behalf of Barton Meeks. Barton completed 10 hours of service for this award.
Jim Michnowicz, Mike Keefe and Doug Lively earned the “Apollo 50th Anniversary” NASA Observing Challenge certificate from the AL. Jim sketched landing sites for his entry while Mike and Doug imaged sites for theirs.
5. Upcoming star parties.
Sep 22-28 East Coast Video Astronomy Rendezvous (ECVAR). See https://nightskyobservatory.wixsite.com/ecvar
Oct 21-27 Staunton River Star Party (SRSP). See http://www.chaosastro.org/starparty/index.html
Registration is open.